Copyright and Images
Copyrighted material on this website is available for non-commercial and educational purposes under a Creative Commons CC-BY-NC-ND 4.0 (Unported) licence. For more information on Creative Commons please visit https://creativecommons.org.
Remember: You cannot use the material commercially and, if you’re distributing the material, you cannot modify or transform the material in any way.
Please direct all requests for high resolution images and licensing to: firstname.lastname@example.org
For all press image enquiries please contact: email@example.com
Please find more information on Copyright and Image Reproductions below...
Reproducing content from the Wallace Collection website
Website content that is the Wallace Collection copyright may be reproduced for the non-commercial purposes of research, private study, criticism and review, or for limited circulation within an educational establishment (such as a school, college or university).
The following uses of Wallace Collection copyright content are also permitted, except where other terms apply:
- Reproducing the Wallace Collection copyright content for non-commercial research, private study, criticism and review, or for the purposes of teaching and instruction within an educational establishment. Where any artworks are published, the source of the content must be identified and the copyright status of the content acknowledged, e.g. ‘© The Wallace Collection’;
- Limited quotation of the Wallace Collection copyright texts or transcripts, for non-commercial research, private study, criticism and review, or use within an educational establishment, with due acknowledgement and citation. Where any text content is published, the author and/or source of the content must be identified and the copyright status of the content acknowledged, e.g. ‘© The Wallace Collection’
- Reproducing the Wallace Collection copyright content for the purposes of an educational examination, by a recognised UK exam authority
- Downloading the Wallace Collection copyright audio and video content for non-commercial offline listening or viewing
- Downloading and printing of the Wallace Collection copyright learning content for non-commercial educational use
- Embedding links to the Wallace Collection audio and video content, where embedding is offered
- Reusing content published under a Creative Commons licence under the terms of the licence specified
- Embedding or loading the Wallace Collection news feeds (RSS).
However, the following acts are not permitted in respect of any of the content featured on the Wallace Collection’s website:
- Reproduction of website content for commercial purposes, or any rental, leasing or lending of content obtained or derived from the website
- Any use of the Wallace Collection’s logo, brand identities or Wallace Collection’s trademarks without prior consent from the Wallace Collection
- Any considerable public dissemination, display or hosting of website content via any third-party platforms, including without limitation, the substantial or repeated extraction and/or storage of the Wallace Collection’s website content in any retrieval system, or inclusion in any other computer program or work
- Reproduction of the Wallace Collection’s website content on any social media platforms, except where other terms allow
- Inaccurate or distorted reproductions, colour treatments, alterations or adaptations of website content, except where other terms allow
- Publication of any unauthorised translations or transcriptions of website content, except where other terms allow
- False attribution of authorial or copyright credits, and the removal of any Wallace Collection metadata from digital file formats
- Unauthorised text/data mining of website content and metadata.
If you wish to reproduce our images in any other way, you will need to contact the Picture Library to obtain permission in advance. For further information, please contact the Picture Library by email.
The copyright for all images on our website remains with the Trustees of the Wallace Collection. This includes images of our collection objects which are available for download via our Collection Highlights and Search the Collection pages. These images are 96dpi and 1920 pixels on the longest side, and may be used for non-commercial purposes without permission. If you require higher resolution images or wish to reproduce our images in any other way, please contact the Picture Library for more information and permissions.
The Wallace Collection regards the following uses of Wallace Collection imagery and copyrighted material as non-commercial activity:
- Use in free educational lectures and classes
- Use on an individual or group’s website discussing the artwork in question, provided the website is obviously non-commercial in nature
- Use on websites that are primarily information-led, research-oriented and obviously non-commercial in nature, for example Wikipedia
- Use on personal social media accounts, provided the individual is not promoting themselves commercially
- Statutory exceptions to copyright also apply in certain situations. It is the user’s responsibility to satisfy themselves that an exception (such as fair dealing criticism and review, quotation, or reporting a current event) applies.
Creative Commons defines commercial use as “reproducing a work in any manner that is primarily intended for or directed toward commercial advantage or monetary compensation”.
The Wallace Collection further defines commercial use as “use on or in anything that itself is charged for, on or in anything connected with something that is charged for, or on or in anything intended to make a profit or to cover costs.”
As a guide, the Wallace Collection regards the following uses of Wallace Collection imagery as commercial activity:
- Use on merchandise production
- Use of images editorially in films and on TV
- Use in publications that are sold
- Use in advertisements and commercial promotions
- Use online or in print by commercial organisations, including (for the avoidance of doubt) trading arms of charities
- Use on an individual’s website in such a way that adds value to their business, or for promotional purposes, or where offering a service to third parties
- Use of images by university presses in publications online or in print
- Use in publicity and promotional material connected with commercial events
- Unsolicited use of images by news media, including front covers and centre-page spreads
- Use in compilations of past examination papers
- Use by commercial galleries and auction houses
- Under charity law, conflicts can arise when one charity is seen as assisting another. Therefore the Wallace Collection needs to treat other charities (and their trading arms) as if they were “commercial” organisations.
The above list is not exhaustive. If you are unsure whether your use is considered ‘Commercial’ please contact the Picture Library for clarification.
Notice & Take-down Policy
Please contact us in the event that you are the owner of the copyright or related rights in any of the material on this website, or in a publication or broadcast to which the Wallace Collection has provided material from its collections, and you believe that the material may be subject to a third party ownership or another legal claim, or you believe that use of this material infringes your intellectual property or any other rights.
We will withdraw the material from our website 24 hours of receipt of your written objection and our initial verification of your complaint, while the matter is investigated. Your objection will be acknowledged within seven working days of receipt.
Please include the following information in your email:
- Your contact details.
- The full details of the material you believe has made the infringement and where you found it.
- Proof or statement that you are the rights holder.
Please send your query to the Picture Library and it will be dealt with as soon as possible.
While we make every effort to ensure the accuracy of the information and copyright of material on this website, any and all liability which might arise from your use of and reliance on the information contained on the website is excluded.