The Wallace Collection Archives are divided into several categories. The main sequence, AR2, is the historical collection.
The Historical Collection (AR2):
- Files on the Founders of the Collection, their purchases (sometimes including receipts) and their interactions with key figures of their times
- Visitors’ books
- Files on the history of the Museum, from Lady Wallace’s bequest in 1897 to 1999
- ‘Information Files’ collected on the history of the Collection and of the Museum since 1999.
PDF of the Archives Index typescript (6.8MB PDF)
The Wallace Collection actively seeks to acquire material related to its subject specialist areas of French eighteenth century art, princely arms and armour and the history of collecting.
Notable collections recently acquired include the personal papers of the Anglo-German art dealer, Herbert Bier (1905-1981), and the papers of Claude Blair (1922-2010) former Keeper of Metalwork at the Victoria & Albert Museum and scholar of arms and armour.
- A selection of Sèvres Porcelain factory records on microfilms, circa 1745-1819
- French Royal Inventories (Journal du Garde-Meuble) 1666-1792 - microfilms of archives from the Archives nationales
- French Royal Gifts, 1669-1791 - microfilms
Administrative records, 1897-1979 (AR1):
Kept at the National Archives at Kew
Cataloging Project and Access
The Wallace Collection is currently embarking on a major project to catalogue and make available online the Collection's archival material. A catalogue containing the descriptions of two collections is now available. Click here to search the catalogue.
If you can't find what you are looking for or wish to make an appointment to view material, please contact the Wallace Collection Library staff:
TEL: 0044 (0)20 7563 9586
Tuesdays - Fridays, 10am - 5pm
The Library and Archives will be closed for the Christmas period, 24 Dec. 2015 - 04 Jan. 2016.