The Wallace Collection

The Wallace Collection, A Family Collection, A National Museum, An International Treasure House
Dr Christoph Vogtherr, Director of the Wallace Collection
Dr Christoph Vogtherr, Director of the Wallace Collection
The Wallace Collection in the 20th Century

Following the announcement of Lady Wallace's bequest, the Government decided, rather than constructing a new museum, to acquire the freehold of Hertford House which, over the course of the next three years, was converted for use as a museum.

The Wallace Collection opened, to great acclaim, to the public as a national museum on 22 June 1900.

Since then the collections have been enjoyed by millions of visitors and have remained constantly open to the public except for periods during the two World Wars, when the collections had to be removed to safe storage.

The Wallace Collection has been fortunate to have had a succession of distinguished Keepers, later Directors, of the Collection, who have maintained its traditions of liberal access combined with the highest standards of display and scholarship.

Keepers and Directors of the Wallace Collection:
1897-1911 - Sir Claude Phillips
- Dugald Sutherland MacColl
- Samuel Camp
- Sir James Mann
- Sir Francis Watson
- Terence Hodgkinson
- John Ingamells
- Dame Rosalind Savill
2011-Present - Dr Christoph Vogtherr