Francis Ingram Seymour-Conway (1743-1822), 2nd Marquess of Hertford, was the son of the 1st Marquess.
He was a Lord of the Treasury 1774-82, Ambassador to Berlin and Vienna (1793-4) and Lord Chamberlain (1812-21).
This last appointment owed much to the considerable influence that his wife, the 2nd Marchioness, gained over the Prince of Wales, later George IV. It was the 2nd Marquess who began the long association between the Hertfords and Hertford House, now the home of the Wallace Collection, by acquiring the leasehold of the building in 1797.
Of works of art now in the Wallace Collection he bought two fine English portraits, Reynolds’s Miss Nelly O’Brien and Romney’s Mrs Mary Robinson (‘Perdita’), and was given Gainsborough’s portrait of Mrs Robinson (who was a family friend) by the Prince of Wales. He also acquired a few pieces of French furniture and Sèvres porcelain.